The Big New Year’s Eve Quiz
Questions relating to New Year celebrations! How many will you answer correctly?
The Big New Year’s Eve Quiz. Do you think you can get 14 out of 14? (Answers are featured below)
- What word do the Scottish people give for the last day of the year and its celebration?
- What day of the week was New Year’s Day, 2019?
- In which European country is it a tradition to jump from a chair right before midnight and also smash plates against friend’s doors?
- On New Year’s Day 1993, which former country effectively split into two?
- Is the Chinese New Year commonly referred to as the Winter, Spring, Summer, or Autumn Festival?
- Who was found hanged in Winson Green prison near Birmingham on New Year’s Day, 1995?
- What name was given to the predicted computer meltdown at the beginning of the year 2000?
- Can you name the President of Cuba who fled the country on January 1st, 1959, with the advance of a rebel army led by Fidel Castro?
- Nicknamed ‘the Granddaddy of Them All’, which annual American college football bowl game is usually played on January the 1st?
- On January 1st 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps began French construction on which great civil engineering project?
- ‘The ball drop’ is a famous part of the New Year’s Eve celebration in which touristy part of New York City?
- Which English author, born on New Year’s Day 1879, wrote A Passage to India?
- Who wrote the song ‘Auld Lang Syne’?
- In 2021, Chinese New Year will be the year of which animal?
- Spring Festival
- Fred West
- Millennium Bug
- (Fulgencio) Batista
- The Rose Bowl
- The Panama Canal
- Times Square
- E.M. Forster
- Robert Burns
- Year of the Ox
Did you get lots of them correct? If not, it’s time to test someone else.
Why not call one of your friends and read them out over the phone to see if they can beat your score!?
Oh…and a very Happy New Year from everyone at Ageing Better Middlesbrough. We hope 2021 is kind to you! 🙂